Page 38 - Palo Verde College 2018-2019 Student Handbook / Planner
P. 38

A student in a California public community college is expected to attend all sessions of each course. Failure to do so may result in a lower grade. Absence due to illness or strictly unavoidable circumstances may be excused if the cause is explained to the instructor. An absence excused or otherwise, in no way relieves the student of the responsibility for completing the work of the course to the satisfaction of the instructor.
Students who do not attend the first class meeting may be dropped as a “no show.” Students should not, however, assume they will be dropped. It is the student’s responsibility to officially withdraw from a course through Admissions & Records or online at Refund and drop deadlines for courses are available online.
If a student is unable to attend the first class meeting, it is the student’s responsibility to notify the instructor before that class meeting and request that the seat be held. The instructor is under no obligation to honor this request.
Auditing of courses is not permitted
Reference: Education Code Section 709(b) (3); Title 5, Section 55754, 55755, 55756, 55759, 55764
1. Once a student has attempted a total of 12 semester units, he or she shall be subjected to academic probation if the student has earned a cumulative grade point average below 2.0.
2. Once placed on academic probation, the student has the current semester and one (1) additional semester, meaning a total of two (2) semesters (Fall and/or Spring), in which to attain a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher to be removed from academic probation.
3. A student on academic probation shall be subject to dismissal if his or her cumulative grade point average remains less than 2.0 through two (2) semesters of attendance.
4. Students who are eligible for Financial Aid, EOPS or other educational benefit programs may be subject to more stringent standards for academic progress.
5. If a student disagrees with his or her probation status or dismissal, he or she may appeal by submitting a Petition to the Vice President of Student Services. A separate appeal may be necessary for students who are eligible for Financial Aid, EOPS or other educational benefit programs with the appropriate program coordinator.

   36   37   38   39   40