Page 57 - Palo Verde College 2018-2019 Student Handbook / Planner
P. 57

                                FEDERAL WORK-STUDY PROGRAM (FWS)
The Federal Work-Study Program is a Federal program that provides jobs for students who qualify for financial aid. The amount awarded is based on need and on the availability of funds. Students must be enrolled at least half time
(6 units) and maintain a 2.00 (“C” average) GPA to be eligible. Work-study jobs are located both on campus and off. Students earn an hourly rate and are paid twice a month.
The BOGW is a State program designed to waive the enrollment fees for California residents who show financial need, are recipients of public assistance, or have low incomes. Once a student fills out a FAFSA application this will determine eligibility for a BOGW.
BOGW eligibility may be lost due to a student’s cumulative GPA falling below 2.0 for two consecutive primary terms and/or student’s cumulative number of units completed is not more than 50 percent in two consecutive primary terms. See counselor on how to regain BOGW eligibility.
GPA verifications are electronically submitted for students who are eligible. Students who have not completed the appropriate number of units and would like to apply will have to take the application to last high school of attendance for completion.
Your application must be postmarked no later than March 2, 2017, to be considered for a Cal Grant. California Community College students have an additional deadline of September 2, 2017 to apply for the Cal Grant (you must be enrolled in a California Community College for Fall 2017. If you have been awarded a Cal Grant, and will not be attending this academic year, it is your responsibility to notify CSAC at 1-888-224-7268 to be placed in a Leave of Absence status to avoid being dropped from the recipient list and having to reapply. Or you may notify the Financial Aid Office for assistance.
CalWORKs is a program for parents receiving cash aid and interested in attending college. If you enroll in our on-campus program, we might be able to assist you. Students enrolled in our program may be eligible for childcare funding while attending Palo Verde College and working. We can pay for childcare expenses for children up to 13 years of age. We also have jobs available both off and on campus as the opportunity arises based on your field of study. Other services are also available. For further information, contact the CalWORKs Coordinator.

   55   56   57   58   59